City of BistriţaCity of Bistriţa
Official website for the City of Bistriţa, Romania
Astazi este: Vineri, 25 mai 2018
Trafic
Vizitatori: 1098283, online: 9
portal/bistrita/portal.nsf192.168.200.5354.166.245.1054.166.245.1054.166.245.10_2018_5_25

St. Nicholas’ (an Evangelical Church at present), situated in the Main Square, is the core around which the urban nucleus developed. This is one of the largest hall-like churches in Transylvania and its tower is the tallest medieval stone church tower in Romania - 76 m. The Gothic style edifice was built in stages and between 1560 and 1563 it was restored in the Renaissance style by an Italian master from Lugano, who worked in Bistrita in a time when Michelangelo and Titian were gaining fame in Florence, Rome or Venice. The church patrimony preserves elements of medieval encrusted furniture, fonts, as well as banners belonging to the former craft guilds. During restoration (begun about 10 years ago), a most beautiful medieval painting was uncovered dating from the period prior to the Saxons’ adopting the Lutheran reform. The apse was built 1701 during the time of magistrate judge Jonan Klein and is stylistically much similar to one of the monastery church in Sighisoara, built by the master Johann Vest.

In 1487 the construction of a defensive and watchtower was begun on the northern side of the church in the Main Square. From the very beginning the tower was in care of the magistrate judge and the tower guard had to warn against military attack or danger of fire breaking out. However, Bistrita was fire-ravaged in 1680, 1768, and in 1857, when 148 houses were completely burned to the ground; the roof of the tower, the medieval clock and the tower bells were also destroyed.

Unfortunately, on June 11t h 2008 another fire broke out, destroying the scaffolding set up for the restoration of the edifice; the fire spread so quickly that the roof of the tower, the bells, the clock and much of the framework were completely burned down. The whole community now makes efforts to restore this symbol of the past, the present and the future.Around the Evangelical Church were held the famous markets on St. Bartholomew’s Day. Such annual events took place every August and would last 15 days. The southern side of the church has many points of interest such as the sun dial, the relief portrait of Andreas Beuchtel or a 14t h century knight’s tombstone.
 
 
Around the Evangelical Church were held the famous markets on St. Bartholomew’s Day. Such annual events took place every August and would last 15 days. The southern side of the church has many points of interest such as the sun dial, the relief portrait of Andreas Beuchtel or a 14th century knight’s tombstone.

The Parish Church, or the house at nr. 13, is the first one of the Sugalete row of dwelling houses. 1480 reads the motto on the coat of arms, in gothic letters, high above the archway, namely the year when this multi-storey establishment was built.

The Holy Trinity Roman-Catholic Church was built in 1787 with the financial support from the Aulic Council. Empress Maria Theresa also donated 7,000 florins for the construction. A religious bas-relief representing Virgin Mary with the Infant Jesus is placed on the main facade of the house neighboring the eastern side of the church. It is a replica of the miracle working icon from Nicula, painted 1681 by the Romanian painter Luca from Iclod.

 
The Reformed Church is a fine Neo- Gothic construction (1867-1887) contemporaneous with the tower of St. Michael’s Cathedral in Cluj.The window on the eastern facade ends in a circular arch on whose exterior are two sculptured chalices - a craft guild symbol.churches in Transylvania: St. Bartholomew’s Church in Brasov or the Protestant Church in Prejmer. The Synagogue built 1844-1855 in the Neo-Gothic architecture style on the exterior, with eclectic elements in the interior. After 1940 the number of the Jewish inhabitants of the town rapidly and dramatically decreased due to the persecutions they suffered during World War II. The establishment was taken over and restored by the Bistrita Concerts Society to which it now belongs. Classical music concerts and fine arts exhibitions are organized in the main hall.

 
As grandiose as a cathedral, Trei Ierarhi Orthodox Church was built after 1927 in the style of the new Byzantine style similar to the cathedrals in Cluj- Napoca and Alba Iulia. It was the first Orthodox Church to be erected in Bistrita and also the nucleus around which the Romanian educational system would develop in the area. The archpriest of this church, Grigore Pletosu, was the teacher of famous figures of the epoch, poet George Cosbuc, Bishop Nicolae Balan and Romania's Patriarch Miron Cristea amongst them.

 
The church of the former Franciscan monastery is the oldest historical monument in Bistrita, built 1270 and preserving elements of Cistercian architecture, like other

Actualizat prin grija Serviciului educatie,turism - 12/05/2014, la ora 09:46.
Copyright © 2003 - 2007 SOBIS Solutions. Design realizat de SOBIS Solutions.